General Cone and Colonel Reyes prepare to begin the decactivation ceremenoy at Fort Monroe, VA on September 15, 2011
Garrison Commander COL Anthony Reyes and Virginia Governor Robert McDonnell render honors as the colors arrive to begin the Fort Monroe deactivation ceremony.
COL Reyes, Governor McDonnell and GEN Cone proceed to their designated place for the ceremony.
The Band Played, the Canons Fired, everyone saluted and the flag waved proudly, on this last day for the Army at Fort Monroe.
The soldiers of the color guard stand tall and proud.
Governor McDonnell and the rest of the official party watch as the Fort Monroe garrison colors are cased.
COL Reyes and the Garrison Sergeant Major case the colors of Fort Monroe for the last time.
The Band plays a farewell tribute to the Fort as the official party and guest watch and listen.
General Robert Cone, Commanding General of the Army's Training and Doctrine Command, delivers a farewell address to the post that housed the command since its inception in 1973.
Colonel Reyes, the Garrison Commander, recounts the past accomplishments of Fort Monre, and looks to a new future for the fort.
Colonel Reyes thanks the soldiers of the color guard and the band for their support.
Colonel Reyes presents the ceremonial key to Fort Monroe to Governor Bob McDonnell as Glenn Oder, Executive Director of the Fort Monroe Authority looks on.
Governor McDonnel hands the key over to Glenn Oder, Executive Director of the Fort Monroe Authority, commenting that he had the key but a short while.
Governor McDonnel speaks to Fort Monroe's exceptional service and outlines a vision for a bright future in its new role.
Honors are rendered as the colors depart and the official ceremony ends.
Glen Oder, with the Key in hand, followed by GEN Cone, GOV McDonnell, and COL Reyes
Just some of the 50 state flags flying as part of the Fort Monroe Deactivation Ceremony.
State Flags fly in front of just one of the storied sets of quarters now available for public lease. With this view of the bay, these will not be the cheap seats!
One of the ceremonial howitzers used so often at Fort Monroe in the past to herald special ceremonies and events.
This is the only foot bridge across the moatl and is the entrance closest to Robert E. Lee's old quarters when he was the LT of Enginieers at Fort Monroe, prior to the cival war. The other two entrances are wide enough to accommodate a wagon, or now days, a car.
A view of the Flag Bastion atop the moat wall/earthworks. The white windows were once part of an officers club during the 19th and early 20th century.
This door is one of many which provide entrance to casemates, or rooms inside the moat walls.
Inside this casemate, you will find the cell where Jefferson Davis was held for several years after the civil war.
View of Building 5 from the Lincoln Gun and one of the many great old live oaks on the grounds of Fort Monroe.
Chapel of the Centurion at Fort Monroe
This Chapel of the Centurion was the site of much history. Presidents such as Lincoln, Wilson and Eisenhower worshiped here. It was the oldest wooden structure owned by the U.S. Army.
This historic church was the only diocesan church in the nation located on a military installation until September 15, 2011, when Fort Monroe was deactivated as an Army installation.
Front Gate, Fort Monroe
America's oldest continously active Army garrison is scheduled to close in September 2011.
Fort Monroe Gazebo
Chapel of the Centurion, Fort Monroe, VA
Historic Chapel at Fort Monroe, VA
Chapel of the Centurion-Alter
HDR image of the Alter of the Chapel of the Centurion, Fort Monroe, VA. Consecrated in 1858, the protestant chapel is the oldest wooden structrure, used for worship, still in use by the US Army. Both Presidents Wilson and Eisenhour attended services at the Chapel while serving as President.
Quarters 1 at Fort Monroe
Historic Quarters #1 at Fort Monroe, where Lincolon stayed while planning the attack on Norfolk.
Quarters #1, Front Entrance, Fort Monroe, Virginia
Casemate and Canon Balls at Fort Monroe
Historic Chamberlain Hotel
Chamberlain Hotel at Fort Monroe, Virginia
Old Point Comfort Light and Keeper's House at Fort Monroe
Old Point Comfort Light
Saint Mary's Star of the Sea Catholic Church at Fort Monroe, Virginia
Old Point Comfort Light
Toned BW Image of the Old Point Comfort Light at Fort Monroe, VA
View of the Moat, Fort Monroe, Virginia
The Chamberlain, now a private residence facility, was formally the Chamberlain Hotel, the third hotel to be built on this site while the Army occupied Fort Monroe, Virginia.
Battery DeRussy, a now defuct coastal artillery battery at Fort Monroe, Virginia. Typical of seacoast gun batteries of the period 1892 to 1946.
Old concrete steps, once used to reach the beach at Fort Monroe. With the erosion of the beach, the stairs are often submerged at high tide and have long since been blocked from use.
Once busy with small aircraft and more recently used as a helipad to ferry senior officers and staff to the Pentagon and other locations, the airfield is now quiet and lonely since the Army departed Fort Monroe.
A section of "Dog Beach", named that for the fact that enlisted men, or "Dog Soldiers" were once allowed to use the beach here at Fort Mronroe. The built up area in the distance is Buckroe Beach, in Hampton, VA, adjacent to Fort Monroe.
The old Garrison Headquarters building, framed with a historic 10 inch Rodman Gun at Fort Monroe, Virginia.
St. Mary's Star of the Sea Catholic Church on historic Fort Monroe, Virginia